Benefits and Privileges for Senior Citizens in the Philippines
Senior Citizens in the Philippines who are at least 60 years old are granted privileges and benefits given by the Philippine Government.
The government has made it possible to provide services and benefits to recognize the importance of Senior Citizens for older persons.
HOW TO APPLY?
A Senior Citizen's ID is issued by the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) in the city where the senior resides. To be able to get a Senior Citizen ID, the applicants must comply with the simple requirements below:
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be a FILIPINO CITIZEN who is a resident of the Philippines
- Must be 60 years old or above
- Those who have Dual Citizenship can apply provided that they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least 6 months residency in the Philippines
- NSO Birth Certificate
- Latest 1x1 colored photo
- Valid ID (SSS, Driver's license)
Bring all the requirements to your CITY or MUNICIPAL OFFICE of the SENIOR CITIZENS AFFAIR (OSCA) and apply for an ID.
After filling up the card with your personal information, all you have to do is sign the card and make sure your signature is the same to your other ID.
BENEFITS OF A SENIOR CITIZEN
20 % DISCOUNT and VAT EXEMPTION
- MEDICINE PURCHASES- A 20% discount shall apply to the purchase of generic or branded medicines and drugs for senior citizens including vitamins and mineral supplements tahat medically prescribed by a physician for prevention and treatment of diseases.
- DOMESTIC TRANSPORTATION- For the fare for domestic air and sea travel and advanced booking shall be subject to the 20% discount and VAT exemption.
- RECREATION CENTERS- 20% discount on fees, charges and rental for sports facilities, venues for ballroom dancing, yoga, badminton courts or other sport related activities.
- RESTAURANTS, HOTELS, RESORTS, PLACE OF LEISURES and FUNERAL SERVICES -There will be a discount for room accommodation and for other amenities offered by the establishment.
- .ADMISSION FEES PRIVILEGES- 20% discount shall be applied to theaters, concert halls, circuses, carnivals, museum and amusement parks.
- BURIAL AND FUNERAL SERVICES
OTHER RELATED PRIVILEGES AND BENEFITS
1. Income Tax exemption- senior citizen shall be entitled to exemption from the payment of the Individual income tax provided he/she is considered to be minimum wage earner in accordance with the REPUBLIC ACT. 9504
2.Free medical and dental services in GOVERNMENT FACILITIES or HOSPITALS
3. Educational Privileges- educational assistance shall be granted to senior citizens to pursue post-secondary or post-tertiary and vocational or technical education in public and privates schools.
4. Exemption from training fees- Senior Citizen shall be exempted from socio-economic programs conducted by private and government agencies subject to the guidelines issued by the DTI, DOLE, DA, TESDA and DOST-TRC
5. Express Lane Privileges- Senior Citizens have the privileged for express lanes in all private, banking, commercial and government establishments.
6. Privileges for Retirees- the senior citizen shall be granted the same benefits and privileges given b the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) and Social Security System (SSS) and PAG IBIG.
7. Free Vaccinations- Free vaccinations against the influenza virus and pneumococcal diseases for indigent senior citizen patients.